One of the core activities of the IAS is its fellowship programme. Research fellows work collaboratively at the institute on a specific interdisciplinary question (typically for 3-12 months). You can apply for a fellowship position within the framework of running research programmes, or propose your own interdisciplinary research challenge.
On this page:
Fellowship positions for UvA researchers
For internal UvA researchers there are two options:
- Part-time: research fellows spend 40% of their time at the institute. The arrangement is made in-kind, meaning that the home faculty/department makes it possible for the fellow to spend research time at the IAS (by freeing him/her temporarily from other duties);
- Fulltime: UvA researchers can use their sabbaticals to work fulltime (80-100%) at the institute. Within the selected research programmes, IAS has the option to extend the parttime position with two additional days by compensating the home faculty/department for the education time of the fellow.
Fellowship positions for external researchers
The IAS welcomes external research fellows from the Netherlands and around the world to intensify existing collaborations and spark new areas of research. External research fellows can work part-time or fulltime at the institute. Each research fellow will have a tailormade programme, with corresponding practical arrangements.
What IAS offers
• a research home base: (flexible) work space, usage of IAS facilities, joint lunches;
• networking support;
• organisational support for activities (public lectures/think tanks);
• seed funding for small research or development activities;
In addition, for external fellows:
• access to the UvA libraries;
• a faculty member as primary contact person (buddy system);
• a need-based (partial) cost compensation (travelling, accommodation, etc).
Research fellows are expected to:
• Participate in IAS activities and engage with (other) UvA staff and students;
• Work together with (at least) one UvA staff member on a joint article or other academic output;
• Give a public lecture and/or organize (at least) one activity;
• Write a short report on activities and achievements (within 6 months after the fellowship);
• Acknowledge IAS in any publications resulting from the fellowship.
Selection criteria for fellows
• View on interdisciplinary research collaboration, as well as proven experience with mixed methods;
• Creative, original, out-of-the box thinking;
• Academic track-record (taking into account the career stage of the candidate).
Disclaimer: the IAS plays a role in bringing together researchers from different disciplines and can accommodate a limited number of fellows. Therefore applicants' academic background could be taken into account as well.
How to apply
Both internal (UvA) and external researchers can be selected for fellowship positions. If sparked by an announced topic, you can indicate your interest. Alternatively, you can apply for a fellowship position with your own interdisciplinary research proposal. You can apply throughout the year by sending in the application form and your CV (in addition reference letters may be requested). The selection is made by an internal selection committee.